AN ASIAN-FUSION FLAVOUR JOURNEY: WILD ORCHID BISTRO & SUSHI LOUNGE, CANMORE
From the artful delicacy of Japanese sashimi, to the heartening warmth of Sri Lankan curry, Asian cuisine bursts with cultural significance and inspiring flavours.
Here in the heart of the Canadian Rockies, Chef Shogo and the team at Wild Orchid Bistro & Sushi Lounge delight in sharing a melting pot of traditional and modern Asian-inspired dishes.
At Canmore Uncorked in 2018, Wild Orchid will offer a special set-price menu—and a memorable flavour journey awaits you. Here are the top 3 reasons you won't want to miss it, this May.
1. Authenticity reigns supreme
Growing up in the cosmopolitan Japanese poet city of Kobe, with its wide range of international flavours, Shogo Sawada discovered an early love for food. Following his passion, he graduated from to culinary school and went on to hone his skills at Matsumoto Eiraku, a renowned eatery in Osaka.
Today, as Wild Orchid's Head Chef, he is passionate about bringing a true taste of Asian cuisine to Canmore. Honouring Japan's traditional “umami” flavour balance, along with an infusion of his own style, his commitment to authenticity makes Wild Orchid the real deal.
2. ...But you can still expect some unique twists
While Chef Shogo and the Wild Orchid team are passionate about authentic flavours, they’re also driven by creativity and fresh ideas. Each year, Wild Orchid creates a special menu for Canmore Uncorked, and it's the perfect chance to try something new and unexpected. Throughout the Festival in 2018 (May 3rd to May 13th), they'll be serving up a special Set-Price Dinner Menu. And with three delicious courses for a tempting $37, you're in for a treat.
For an entrée option, enjoy 3 way sashimi, with freshbutter fish, Ahi tuna and rockfish on a bed of arugula, sashimi vegetables and micro greens. For a main option, discover the unique flavours of Sri Lankan chicken curry with lemon-scented rice and pineapple chutney, and green apple salad. For dessert, be transported to sweet-tooth heaven, with Matcha berry moons: vanilla ice cream and raspberry sorbet in handmade meringue cups, with fresh raspberries and raspberry coulis. To top it off with the perfect drop, enjoy sake and wine pairings to compliment each course (at an additional cost). Check out Wild Orchid's full Uncorked menu here.
3. It's a 100% gluten-free goldmine (but you’d never know!)
While demand for gluten-free dining continues to grow, options can sometimes be limited—but not at Wild Orchid! This may soon be your new go-to restaurant in the Rockies: their entire menu is gluten-free. Get ready for a feast, gluten-free friends.
For this year’s Canmore Uncorked menu, the Wild Orchid team is thrilled to have perfected a gluten-free batter, creating a Japanese twist on a much-loved pub fare classic: fish and chips! Crispy, juicy pleasures await. And the best part? Even if you're okay with gluten, you won't notice the difference in texture and flavour from traditional recipes. So everyone's a winner.
Here's where to find a taste of Wild Orchid Bistro & Sushi Lounge at Canmore Uncorked in 2018
1. Set-Price Menus, Thursday May 3rd to Sunday May 13th: To enjoy the special Canmore Uncorked three-course set-price dinner menu at Wild Orchid Bistro & Sushi Lounge, dine-in at the restaurant at 1818 Mountain Ave, Canmore, during this year's Festival. No tickets are needed, but reservations are recommended.
2. The Grande Brunch, Sunday May 6th: Wild Orchid will join forces with other local-favourite eateries to cater brunch under one roof, for a mid-morning feast. Enjoy a smorgasbord of brunch specialties along with locally roasted coffee, located at the new Grande Kitchen & Bar. An event the whole family will love!
More must-see events at Canmore Uncorked in 2018
- Set-Price Experiences (May 3rd to 13th)
- Canmore Wine Festival (Saturday March 5th)
- Progressive Dinner Tours (Sunday May 6th to Wednesday May 9th)
- Whisky & Spirits Festival (Friday May 11th)
- Craft Beer Festival (Saturday May 12th)